Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Saturday, October 30th 2010: La Plata to Knoxville, 500+miles, 11 hours




Been thinking about this trip since I deferred from law school for a year (year meaning probably never going back) and after a month in Italy doing some family stuff/travelling and two weeks of prepping at my folks place in MD, Im ready to GO. The plan is to be gone till next June, across the southern US, down Baja, ferry to mainland Mexico to spend some time in Guadalajara and Mexico City, cross the border into Guatemala by canoe down a remote section of the Usumacinta River, cross into Honduras after a couple of weeks and then into Nicaragua around New Years where I'll finish Spanish immersion school for about 3 months. After that, go through Costa Rica and to the end of the Pan American Highway in Panama, back up to the Bay Islands to get scuba certified, Belize, and then possibly Cuba if I have time. Back through Mexico and the US via Texas. Then back to NYc where hopefully I'll have a new plan set into motion. I have some time to figure that out I guess.

Place in NY is sublet, money is straight, everything is pretty much in order. The Yamaha XT600E I picked up in Cleveland a few months ago seems more than suited to the task at hand. Got a late start due to not being able to figure out how to use a ratchet tie down for two hours. Fucking embarassing. Left in somewhat of a bad mood which is unfortunate. Felt sad and missed my folks. My Dad’s comment of my mom being “ broken up” if something were to happen to me hit pretty hard. Got cold as shit, in the 30’s and I had to skip the Blue Ridge Parkway to get to Knoxville at 2:30 in the morning. Arrived at Kim and Amlan’s party at their friend Emily’s house. She is hot. I managed to run the battery down right before I got to the party due to using the electric windbreaker on the highest setting and had to jump start the bike. Lost control and bag scraped the car. Felt bad and left a note. Also managed to crack the hard luggage. Fuck. (Went back the next day and the scratches rubbed right off, took that note back! ) At the party, I had just missed a fight involving several drunken individuals which resulted in teeth being knocked out, mace being sprayed and other such drama. Glad to have missed it. Left there after a couple of hours and got to Kim’s at 5 in the morning and passed out. What a start!

No comments:

Post a Comment